Thank you for your interest in NVIT. As an International Applicant, in order to proceed with your application, you must also complete the following steps:
1. Submit official transcripts for all education completed at a grade/year 10 level and higher to the International Credential Evaluation Service for assessment. Please contact the International Credential Evaluation Service at http://www.bcit.ca/ices/ for more information regarding the evaluation process and associated fees.
2. If English was not the language of instruction for the last three years of your education, you will also require an official TOEFL score including the TWE (or essay) portion with a minimum score of 270 (230 if the computer-based TOEFL taken) on the Listening, Structure/Writing, and Reading portions and 5.0 on the essay portion.
3. Once the above, as well as any program specific admission requirements have been met, NVIT will provide a Full Offer of Admission. Students must take this letter to the nearest Canadian Embassy or High Commission to apply for a Study Permit. When/if a study permit is issued, please forward a copy of that permit to NVIT and we will begin the registration process.
English Language Requirement
To create the best possible learning environment at NVIT it is critical that all students be able to participate in classroom activities and complete written assignments. English is the language of instruction and communication at NVIT. Therefore, all applicants must demonstrate fluency in English by fulfilling one of the following options:
1. Two years of full-time study at grade 8 or higher level with English as the language of instruction. Studies that are part of an English as a Second Language program cannot be used toward fulfilling this option; or
2. Successful completion of BC English 11 (or equivalent acceptable to NVIT) with a minimum grade of C+; or
3. Successful completion of a university transferable post-secondary level English course with a minimum grade of C; or
4. A minimum score of 213 on the computer-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test with a minimum essay score of 4.0; or
5. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL test and a minimum TWE (Test of Written English) score of 4.0; or
6. A minimum score of 4 on the LPI (Language Proficiency Index) within the past 2 years; or
7. A minimum score of 6.0 on each of the academic listening, reading, writing, and speaking modules of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam.
In addition to the above, please be advised of the following information pertaining to international students:
Fees and Other Costs
Fees and fee deadlines for international students are listed on the NVIT website. Note that travel and living costs are in addition to these fees. Students housing is available at our Merritt campus. Please let us know if you will require a housing application.
Health Care Insurance
Note that International Students are required to have sufficient health care insurance for the duration of their study in British Columbia. This must be in place by the start of classes. Students must apply for BC Medical coverage upon arrival in Canada and must obtain private coverage during their three-month waiting period.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if have questions. Good luck in your educational plans.